At the heart of Afari skincare, is our small but mighty Bulbine frutescens. This succulent plant contains a gel-like sap in its leaves that can work wonders for the skin...
So what is in this super sap?
Long story short, South Africa’s traditional healers have known Bulbine's gel-like sap has calming, soothing properties for many, many years, using it on burns and bites to great effect.
But when scientists took a closer look, they discovered it was more than that and labelled it as a skincare superhero. Naturally anti-ageing, Liftonin Xpert Eco - the trade name given to it by the Swiss scientists - contains two key components: Mannan and Knipholone. These were then isolated into their pure, concentrated form and put through their paces, both in vitro and in vivo (on a control group of women under strict conditions controlled by dermatologists) trials. The results got us more than a little excited…
It's all about the collagen
Did you know? After the age of 30, we lose 2% of our collagen every year. Collagen is what gives our skin its firmness and structure. But we only start seeing this a few years later, as wrinkles start forming and our skin starts feeling less dense.
The good news is that the studies showed that the two key components of bulbine are responsible for ‘Smart Collagen Management’. That means they:
- Control the production and supply of new, high-quality collagen into the skin by stimulating the production of fibroblasts - which produce our collagen - and elastin (that gives suppleness and stretch)
- Control the breakdown of old collagen - as opposed to simply giving it an uncontrolled collagen boost (ideally our skin needs to be in a state of equilibrium between synthesis and breakdown) - by fostering an anti-inflammatory environment
- Help this newly synthesised collagen integrate optimally into the dermis (the skin’s 'cushion' that’s made largely of collagen).
A three-month in-vivo study showed that bulbine extract:
- Doubled the skin’s collagen density
- Significantly improved elasticity and firmness on the neck and around the eye area
- Remodels the facial contours
- Had a visible effect on sagging skin
- Reduced wrinkles around the eyes and the deep folds bracketing the nose and mouth
Essentially it means they’re all able to maintain our skin's stretchy scaffolding. Of course, we can help our bodies produce healthy collagen from the food we eat, but as the skin is the last part to receive that nourishment, we need it topically too to support the ageing process.
The measure of great skin
The scientific trials established that the clinically optimal dose of bulbine extract is 3%. And this is the amount you will find in our Brightening Elixir, our Protecting Day Cream SPF30 and our Overnight Regenerating Cream.
But it doesn't end there. Like us, the Afari skincare products are hard working and multitasking. Along with pure, organic bulbine extract, each product is custom-enhanced with other key natural ingredients and extracts so that each product does as much as possible in as little time as possible.
In short, it takes the wisdom of ancient indigenous South African healing and gives it a futuristic formulation that promises to transform skin.
The best way to try the full Afari skincare routine is with our introductory Afari Starter Collection.